The Austin Foundation for Architecture offers grants for projects that fulfill its two-part mission to:
- develop the general public’s education, awareness, and appreciation for architecture, and to promote responsible stewardship of the Central Texas environment.
- develop sustainable architectural leadership for AIA Austin, and other public, professional, and community organizations in Central Texas.
Grant funds can be distributed to:
- A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
- An individual, for educational or charitable purposes
We welcome applications from individuals and groups in any industry, field, or discipline.
Applications are reviewed twice a year, following the June 15 and December 15 application deadline. Applications will be shared with the Foundation’s Grant Committee and Board of Directors. Grant awards are determined by the merits of the request and may be awarded in amounts less than requested. Requests are denied if not approved by a majority vote of the Board.
Awarded funds are to be expended in the 12 months following the application deadline for which they are awarded. Grant recipients will be recognized on the Foundation’s website and in related publicity. In addition, grant recipients are asked to include acknowledgment of the Austin Foundation for Architecture grant on project materials (i.e., including the Foundation’s logo and/or name and website link on the project web page or print materials). At the conclusion of the project, grant recipients are required to submit a report and photos documenting the results of their funding to the Foundation.
Page one of the proposal should provide an overview of the proposed project, including:
- The name of the individual or organization who will benefit from this application, and the contact details for the primary contact associated with the application (name, organization/company, and phone number, email, and mailing address).
- A summary of the proposed project (100 words or less).
- A description of how the project contributes to the Foundation’s mission (100 words or less).
- Specific benefit(s) to the Austin community (100 words or less).
Please note: If selected for a grant, this language may be used by the Foundation when recognizing your project on our website, social media, and related publicity.
Page two of the proposal should address the project budget, including:
- The amount of funds being requested from the Foundation.
- A description of how the funds will be used (100 words or less).
- Detailed estimate and justification of costs to be underwritten by these funds.
- Other sources and amounts of support for this project already attained (monetary and in-kind contributions).
- Other sources and amounts of support for this project being sought (monetary and in-kind contributions).
Page three of the proposal should address the timeline for the project’s completion, including:
- Overall timeline for completion of project.
- Measurable anticipated outcomes of project.
- Methods and timeline for evaluating success of project.
If a 501(c)3, please attach your Letter of Determination. If an individual, please provide a one-page resume or curriculum vitae demonstrating your qualifications to carry out the proposed project. Grant recipients will additionally be asked to provide a form W-7 and documentation of their project costs after the project’s completion.
Applications must be submitted to the Foundation by June 15 or December 15 for consideration during the subsequent six-month period.
A digital submission is preferred. The application may be submitted as a PDF or Word file using the submission form below. Please name your file as follows: “[last name or organization name of applicant]-Grant Request.”
Alternatively, applications may be mailed to the Austin Foundation for Architecture, 801 West 12th Street, Austin, Texas, 78701.